All co-ops share common problems. Do these sound familiar?
- a move-out leaves your co-op scrambling to find new members
- meetings run on too long but important decisions don’t get made
- the same 20% of members do 80% of the work
- conflict and gossip are polarizing members and morale is plummeting
- maintenance work is always behind and there’s no money for repairs
- arrears are crippling your co-op
Put NACHA’s experience with co-op living and problem-solving to work for your co-op through our Education Program.
What we offer
- A wide range of workshops with flexible times, locations & course content.
- Experienced instructors
- Tools to help your co-op with good governance and management.
- Opportunities to gain information, share experiences with other co-ops and solve problems.
Education is a critical component of the well-managed, well-governed co-op. Too many of us regard education as an afterthought – something that we can do if we have the time and the budget. NACHA’s programs, however, are designed to help you resolve problems before they become crises. You will be introduced to new ideas and solutions that will improve the governance and management of your co-op.
- Experienced in housing co-op governance and management.
- Work with your Board/members to bring about change in your co-op.
- Fall Education Event
- Spring Education Event and Annual General Meeting
- Opportunities for co-op members to network with other co-op members in Northern Alberta.
- Address popular topics such as member selection, board basics, unit inspections, community building or subsidy calculation.
Co-ops must pre-register in order to attend these events.
From time to time there are also special education events. These may be in the form of seminars, town halls, conferences or forums.
- Held specifically for your co-op (or you can arrange to share the workshop with another housing co-op).
- NACHA instructors work with your board or committee to design a course tailored to your specific needs.
- Designed to address the specific issues and needs of your Co-op.
- The co-op can send as many participants as they like without any additional cost.
The fee for portable workshops is an hourly rate, depending on the length of the workshop.
Cost per hour of instruction: $100 (subject to review)
- Board Basics
- Dealing with Conflict in Coops
- Improved Board and Committee Functioning
- How to run an Effective Meeting – Chairing
- PIPA – Personal Information Protection Act and Your Coop
- PIP Officer Training
- Building Strong Communities
- Getting the Most from your Minutes
- Board and Committee Roles
- How to Create/Update Bylaws
- Governance and Management – What are they?
- Reading your Coops Financial Statements
- Budget Preparation
- Against Fraud – Financial Controls in your Coop
- Subsidy Calculation and Income Verification
- Managing Arrears
- Member Selection and Interview Techniques
- Member Recruitment
- Community and Involvement
- Building Community
Maintenance and Replacement Reserve
- Unit Inspections
- Maintenance Management
- Replacement Reserve Planning
- Environmental Sustainability
- 2020 Compass &/or Vision
- Working Together: Is the time right for your Coop?
- Chairing Services: Fee – $100/hr
Any course can be tailored to meet your Coop’s needs. We develop new courses as issues dictate.
Contact the NACHA office at 780-482-6128 or email@example.com for more information or to book a workshop for your co-op.